Sunday, July 10, 2011

Towel Cake: New Business?

Today, I was able to join my friend Courtney Dunlay (soon to be Elster) for her wedding shower.  I wanted to get her something that wasn't like what everyone else was getting her and I wanted to get her something that she would actually use.  I started to think about the things that we got for our wedding showers, which were almost six years ago.  Then, I thought of the things that I still use now or the things that I've had to replace since then.  My first choice was a large crock pot, so I texted Courtney's soon to be mother-in-law and she said that was the gift that she chose for the shower.  I was thinking, "Bummer!"  So, I went with my second choice... a towel cake.

Now, I've heard of and seen diaper cakes many times and I think I saw a version of a towel cake from my cousin's baby shower, with all sorts of baby clothes in it, but I had never tried it.  If you know anything about me and giving gifts, you know that I like to give a unique gift and I like to wrap it well.  It takes me hours to get everything wrapped perfectly at Christmas.  I should probably just let it go and let Austin help me, but every year, I do it all myself.

There was no exception this time...

I wanted Courtney to have some nice kitchen utensils that tend to easily be broken or lost or just worn out.  I also wanted her to have some nice towels, since towels can wear out so quickly!

I did some searching on the internet while the boys were taking their afternoon nap and discovered that it wouldn't be too difficult to make.  This is the first look, before the ribbons and tag were added.


It includes:
1 set of wooden spoons
1 set of collapsing measuring cups
2 dish scrubbers (shaped like flowers)
2 dish scrapers
1 set of spatulas
2 bath towels
2 hand towels
2 wash clothes







I got the tulle and some orange flowers from Hobby Lobby.  Their colors are orange and turquoise, so I did my best to find items for decorating that matched.

The towel cake was a huge hit at the shower.  I was very happy with it because it fit my gift giving criteria.  Several of the ladies told me that they would be willing to pay me to make one for them sometime.  Austin actually said that he thought that I should have it as a side business.  Now, this is where I need your help.  I need to know if this would actually work.

If you could take a few moments of your time to do this for me, I would greatly appreciate it!  First, take into account the items included in the cake, then answer these questions:

Would you buy one of these from me?
What would you pay for a towel cake?

This is a front and back view of the finished product:



Thank you for helping me out with this!

If you like this, please share this blog with your friends!

I have also been brainstorming some other possible themes:
spa
honeymoon
stocking stuffer
birthday party
new baby
Valentine's day

The possibilities are really endless...

2 comments:

Tammy Sackett said...

Fun! Yeah I've seen those before and I think they are a really good idea. I thought of making them too but haven't had any showers lately. Depending on what you charge for them I might buy one. Maybe a little more likely if I lived in the same state...
Tammy

Rachel Phillips said...

Great Idea! I too like to give creative gifts and wrap them up nice. There is a kitchen store on Main St. in CF, I wonder if you could talk to them?? Or maybe Candy Blossoms, also on Main St. she makes candy bouquets...