Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What I got from my Facebook fast...

I decided to fast from Facebook for approximately 10 days. I am a definite Facebook addict and was convicted that I needed to take a break in order to prepare myself for Easter weekend. Briefly, this is a summary of what I got from it...

My prayer life increased and was more focused... I started praying more often. I thought that I prayed a lot throughout the day before, but during this time, I was in much more conversation with God than I have been for awhile. God also started bringing specific individuals to my mind to pray for... people I wouldn't have normally thought to pray for.

I walked around with the blinders off... As I drove or went to get groceries or just carried out my daily activities, I was more aware of strangers and what kind of day they might be having. I struck up more random conversations with people than normal. I sensed when people needed me to pray for them, even though I didn't know them.

I thought more about the lost... I wondered more about whether people were going to heaven or not. I found myself, sitting at a red light, watching cars drive by in the cross-traffic, looking at their faces and wondering if they knew Jesus.  I wondered about the guy who walks his dog in front of our house around 4 p.m. every day.  I wondered about the mailman.  I wondered about some of my neighbors, who I've only had a few short conversations with.

I could think more clearly... as I backed away from Facebook and some media type things that distract me, I felt like a cloud had been lifted from my head. I found myself pondering what God is doing with my life more than usual. I could also hear Him more clearly.

I was more sensitive to the Spirit... I could hear the Spirit "whisper" to me much more clearly than before. He also whispered more often.

I was able to be part of something much greater than myself... when Easter weekend rolled around, I was ready to hear from God and be used by Him!  It started off with an amazing night of worship and reflection on the cross at the Good Friday service.  God showed up big time.  The Spirit ambushed us!  The momentum didn't quit.  God continued to move and change people throughout the services on Saturday and Sunday.  As I look back on it all, I am still in awe and definitely humbled to know that He chose me to be a part of it.  He didn't have to choose me.  He didn't need me, but He used me anyway!

I have fasted before, and experienced a greater closeness with God, but never have I seen Him move in the way He did this weekend!  Amazing!

No comments: